The purpose of this post is to announce that I will be suspending any further development of the 3DLP Host software and accompanying firmware until further notice. 3DLP Host has always been a project that I've been developing in my spare time (mostly) for free. Right now I am chest-deep in the chaos of moving and changing jobs, and things are far too hectic to be able to work on the software for a while. Rather than make promises that I cannot keep, it makes the most sense for me to officially hold further progress until things settle down again. I intend to resume giving to the open source community once I am able; in the meantime the 3DLP Google Code site will remain up and the source code that I have released thus far will remain free and open source. Please feel free to email me with any specific questions you may have regarding development of the software.
I know it's been quite a while since I've updated the site, but it's finally time for me to share some amazing news: I've been working for over seven months on 3DLP Host v2.0, and I'm finally in the home stretch! Check out a preview screenshot below:
I've really put an insane amount of effort into making this version of 3DLP Host into a rock-solid, feature-jammed piece of software that will be able to grow and evolve alongside the 3D printing community as new technologies are developed and existing ones are pushed to the edge. The number of new features is too great to list out right now, but v2.0's release will correlate with a complete update and full software documentation. I'm extremely excited to be pushing down the home stretch and I hope to be able to begin releasing Alpha test versions to my supporters very soon to begin gathering feedback in preparation for a worldwide release. In the meantime, happy printing!
Well, it's been a while - I haven't updated the 3DLP Host Software since I came out with the first Alpha version back in May. This past weekend I started working on a complete revamp of the software - and when I say revamp, I mean that by the time I'm done, nearly every line will be replaced with better, more robust code. Planned features for the next release of the software include: 3D STL importer/viewer, 3D realtime slicer, re-written Arduino firmware, a new, cleaner GUI, slice previewing, and a manual printer control dialog. I'm also working on an efficient automatic support generation algorithm that I plan on implementing in later releases.
Here's a preview of the new 3D interface:
Here I've imported an STL model into the 3D viewer, oriented it in 3D space, and sliced the model at a Z height of 0.5. The red lines indicate the contours of the layer created by the intersections of the model and the defined slicing plane.
Here I've loaded an extremely complex (very high poly count) STL model of a human skull complete with all the internal passages and cavities.
Here I'm slicing the skull with a plane in the Z axis - red indicates the intersection of the solid bodies and the slicing plane in 3D space.
Alright, I'm finally getting the time to document all of this. I've completely rebuilt and revamped my printer with a new tilt axis, and I was ready to give it another go - read on to see what happened.
The pictures in this post were taken back on April 20th, when I was working full-tilt on my 3D DLP printer. I've finally gotten around to uploading them and describing what happened. This was the first real test, and needless to say it didn't work at all! Read on to learn from my mistakes and see what happened!
Tonight I built a test 4"x4" vat (I know 4"x4" is really small - it only leaves about a quarter inch around all sides of my stage when it's lowered in - but it's the only size piece of 1/4" glass I had laying around). I also mixed up some of the Solarez resin with some dye (I use the Castin' Craft opaque yellow dye for polyester resins) and tested it. Read on for some exciting news about the resin!